Answered By: Sarah Morehouse Last Updated: May 01, 2015 Views: 47
First, the Empire State College Online Library only has ebooks in our collection, no print books. There are many books that we don't have, simply because the publishers haven't made an ebook version for libraries (the kinds of ebooks that are made for Kindles and Nooks and iPads are completely separate.) So while you may find what you're looking for, chances are sooner or later you're going to need to get a print book from another source. But first things first - finding an ebook in our Ebook Catalog.
1. Go to the library web site at http://www.esc.edu/library
2. Click Books
3. Use the search box at the top of the page to search for the title of the book, in quotation marks, and click the search button
When you do that, it will take you into our Ebook Catalog. It may take you to a page that says we don't have it, or it may take you to a list of ebooks that match your search.
4. If you see the book you're looking for, click View Ebook.
What if you didn't find it in there? Next step is to find out who does have the book.
1. Go to Worldcat at http://www.worldcat.org
2. Search for your book's title in quotation marks
3. Click the entry for your book in the search results list
4. Scroll down the page until you see the box where you are supposed to put in your zip code, and enter your zip code
This will give you a list of libraries that have the book, arranged so that the ones closest to you are at the top of the list.
5. Go back and check your search results list - you may see your book in there several times. If you didn't see a library near you in the first entry you checked, keep looking.
You may be thinking, "What use is it to me if SUNY Fredonia has this book? I go to Empire State College!" Well, if you take your college photo ID to any SUNY or NY community college, they will let you take books out. And most college libraries, SUNY or not, will let you use a book inside the building. Also, in some areas, you can get a special regional borrowers card from your public library, that will give you borrowing privileges at the college and special libraries in your area - ask at your public library circulation desk (or call them.)
Or call us at (800) 847-3000 ext. 2222
- Sun: 1-9 pm
- Mon-Thu: 9am-9pm
- Fri: 9am-5pm